Client: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Puget Sound Health Care System
Location: American Lake, Washington
Our team provided design services for the VA American Lake Building 18 renovation in support of the larger Building 81 Replacement project. The Building 81 Replacement project aimed to increase inpatient bed gap and further support a VA/DOD Joint Incentive Fund Proposal for a new Consolidated Cardio-Thoracic Program at Seattle. Infrastructure improvements around the American Lake site were completed, as part of this effort, to enhance the energy savings programs. The 19,181 square feet of renovations to Building 18 was identified as a necessary infrastructure improvement needed for the successful execution of the Building 81 project.
Our scope of work included:
- Abatement of hazardous building materials and remediation plans
- Programming, Planning and Interior Design services
- Integrated controlled HVAC system and domestic hot water system
- Replacement of the existing electrical system
- Replacement of all exterior windows and doors
- Replacement of building fire alarm and fire sprinkler systems
- Replacement of the existing telecommunications system
- Replacement of the building’s public address system, which is tied to the main campus public address system
POWER worked with the Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (DAHP) to ensure all of Building 18’s historical features and exterior finishes matched the existing portions of the building. The renovation is on track to achieve LEED Silver certification.