As product demand increased, our client needed assistance with one of their rice and couscous packaging lines. Our team was selected to support this leading food processor with complete packaging and controls engineering services for the project. The project was delivered in two phases: a conceptual phase followed by a detailed design phase. This project integrated into an overall “five year” concept that was also developed with POWER’s assistance.
- Overall plan and concept design centralized equipment:Our team helped the client develop an overall five-year plan that would move packaging lines currently scattered across the site into one central area. The new line installed as part of this project was the first line moved into that central area and was designed to work within that overall five-year plan. Layouts were developed to show how the line would integrate with future equipment moves.
- Improved line operation through selection of more reliable equipment:As part of our service to the client, we helped identify, specify, and select new equipment for the line. We attended an industry trade show with the client, coordinated meetings with various vendors, and supported them in the review and evaluation of equipment. While at the show, equipment was reviewed for ease of machine adjustment and reliability. Ultimately, though the equipment purchased from a new vendor had a higher cost, the final installed line functioned much better than the line it replaced due to the reliability of the new suppliers’ equipment.
- Two-phase delivery approach:
- Conceptual phase:This phase defined equipment requirements, forecasted equipment costs, lead times, and overall line out footprint; it also optimized the line and presented general options for consideration.
- Detailed design phase:This phase developed a layout with equipment specifications based on final direction from client; it also included factory acceptance test (FAT) documents for each piece of equipment.
- Detailed packaging equipment specifications
- Detailed layout documents showing line configuration, interconnection, and overall location within the building
- Documentation of required utility connections from existing building suppliers
- Functional specifications for operating procedures and packaging area controls
- Controls installation drawings and programming modifications
- Control system integration support services