Based on our client’s internal equipment maintenance records and analysis, it was determined that their existing primary power transformer, underground feeder cables, and 15KV switchgear equipment had an estimated one to two years of service life remaining, were no longer repairable and would need replacing. POWER was asked to provide Total Project Execution (TPE) services for a new 69KV-12.4KV substation and switchgear upgrade.
We provided design, onsite project management and procurement assistance for the purchase of five new 12.4KV feeder circuits from the new substation to the production facility, boiler room, administration building, and a spare emergency generator breaker in case of a system failure. The switchgear also provided station service for relay power, cubicle and yard lighting. Construction administration services were also provided for oversight of the equipment installation.
- Complete Front End Planning. Execution of Front End Planning (FEP) 1, 2 and 3 phases with stakeholder involvement resulted in very reliable cost and schedule results.
- Minimal impact to existing operations. Careful planning and precise design limited the impact of construction on production to an already-scheduled maintenance shutdown.
- Design, testing, energizing with PP&L Distribution Line Upgrades. Provided engineering design for both sides of the meter; our Client and PP&L.
- GE Transformer and Switchgear. GE provided the major equipment with balance of project equipment specified by POWER.
- Program Control – Scheduling & Cost Control. Report updates were provided weekly thru the comprehensive Trimble Prolog software and interactive dashboard.
- Replaced Transmission Substation (built in 1988)
- Replaced two (2) 5MVA, 69KV – 12.4KV with a single 10 MVA transformer
- Replaced two (2) underground 12.4KV feeder circuits extended from the Substation to the Production Facility and CRL/Admin Building
- Replaced 15KV Switchgear for the Production Facility
- Replaced Electrical Power distribution throughout the facility; approximately 6 miles of cable.
- Transfer of twelve (12) substations to the new 15KV distribution (production) switchgear.
- Construction administration for the preparatory work and the civil/structural requirements, equipment installation, and to maintain maximum operational uptime during the planned and scheduled power feed transfers.
- Testing and Energizing of the electrical equipment and systems.
- Hazardous Materials testing and remediation, as needed.
- Relay Coordination Study for the new equipment and the entire facility.
- Arc Flash Study for the entire facility.
- Demolition and disposal of all decommissioned and abandoned 69KV and 15KV electrical equipment (with recovery of recycled materials)